Comparing numbers

by - 5:00 AM

I love teaching comparing numbers and quantities every year in kindergarten! In kindergarten, these two standards address what kindergartners need to know and do to master number and comparisons:

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.C.6
Identify whether the number of objects in one group is greater than, less than, or equal to the number of objects in another group, e.g., by using matching and counting strategies.1
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.CC.C.7
Compare two numbers between 1 and 10 presented as written numerals.
I developed some tasks that are designed to make sure your students go beyond "this one is bigger because 5 is bigger than 3." Ideally, I want my students to masters at least three strategies that they can defend to compare numbers: counting, matching one to one, and using a number path (number line or 100s chart). This is a great task to begin with. Students don't need any formal knowledge of comparing to be successful. Check in with their strategies as you walk around the room to see which strategies students are using. Pick students to present their ideas to the group. During presentations, you can provide the vocabulary (greater than, less than, and equal to). I also let students name the strategies they used--they called them "count," "matching," and "number line."

After completing the tasks and solidifying the strategies used in the tasks, your students might be ready for more of a fluency piece. You can have students partner up to roll dice and compare sets, have them roll and build a greater than, less than, and equal to set, or play "guess my number" while giving less than, equal to, and greater than hints (i.e. "My number is less than 18. My number is greater than 12. What is my number?"). I gave my students number lines to play this game so they could show me their guess.


Compare away! And download 3 comparing tasks below: 

You May Also Like

0 comments