Week 5 Lesson Plans

by - 5:11 PM


I rearranged my schedule a little bit this week. I am finding that I need to use my time after lunch as my writer's workshop time, rather than before. I am going to try out this schedule this week, and see how they progress. Wish us luck!

Reading: Our theme this week is fairytales. I chose Goldilocks and the Three Bears and Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs as our two anchor texts this week. The latter is also an anchor text recommended by my district, but it is harder to appreciate if students are not familiar with the original story!

Using these texts, students will work to retell the major events of a story. Many fairytales have clear cut events, and are a good starting place for work with this standard.

Day one we will retell the story whole-group, using puppets. I will introduce the concept, and heavily support students verbal retelling. Day two, small groups will use storyboards to retell the story after the re-reading, and we will share out. I will offer less support for these retelling. Day three, students will use pictures from the story to sequence and orally retell, while day four I will assess their retelling with their independently created story maps.

Free Resources-
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Goldilocks-and-the-Three-Bears-Sequencing-Assessment-Reading-Street-44-1093784
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-Goldilocks-and-the-Three-Bears-1705774
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Story-Boards-Set-8-The-Three-Little-Pigs-Goldilocks-and-the-Three-Bears-1194112

Writing: There are two major lessons I want to instill in students this week: one, that authors use letters, words, and sentences in their stories (and those are different!). And two, building writing stamina by working the whole time. I'm not using anything fancy this week, but I will be introducing their journals and making an anchor chart whole group. I want to get back to what I LOVE about writing instruction. I really feel I've been unable to fully teach writing how I want to since I was a student teacher.

Idea from Kindergarten Chaos



Free Resources-
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Letter-Word-Sentence-Sort-2235576'

Phonics: I am still introducing letters and doing basic oral blending and oral rhyming activities. We will map and practice handwriting for letters P, Q, R, S, and T this week!

Mathematics: This is the introduction to counting, and the beginning of the first counting unit, which will take approximately three weeks to complete. This week, I just want to build one-to-one correspondence with numbers 0-7. (Yes. 7. That is provided to me by my district). I will build conceptual understanding of this through reading texts such as Mouse Count and 10 Black Dots, and having discussion about number. We will also continue our daily number talk routine, moving through the provided sequence of dot patterns in the Number Talks book by Sherry Parrish. Our culminating math task with be the three act task linked below. I LOVE this task because it really helps students to connect with the concept that the last number stated is the answer!
Dotty


Social/Emotional Learning: I will continue with the Choose Love campaign, lesson three! Lesson three is entitled "Feelings can change!" and I am really looking forward to discussing strategies with my students.


That's all for this week, happy teaching!

Ms. M




You May Also Like

0 comments